Reporting absences: Any student who has been absent from school can bring in a note from a parent or guardian within forty-eight (48) hours of returning to school stating the cause of the absence. Notes can be dropped off in the guidance office on the way to lunch, music or the gym. Failure to bring in a note will result in an automatic unexcused absence. (Please see the Attendance Policy below.)
You can also email your note to Trish Conrad at: [email protected]
Our Attendance Policy as found in the Code of Conduct:
Student Dress Code
The dress and grooming of St. Johns County Public Schools students shall contribute to the
health and safety of the individual, promote a positive educational environment and not
disrupt the educational activities and processes of the school. Because inappropriate clothing
worn by a student is detrimental to the school program, the wearing of garments suitable for
school shall be encouraged. All faculty and administrative staff shall be on the alert to give
positive guidance in these matters, without embarrassment to the student.
These rules on personal appearance of students are intended to enable the students of St.
Johns County Public Schools to dress casually but reasonably. However, the school principal is
the final authority with regard to the appropriateness of student dress. Nothing in these rules
shall be construed to pre‐empt the principal’s authority to act in specific cases when, in the
principal’s judgment and discretion a student’s dress threatens to disrupt the educational
process or the good order and discipline of the school, or is otherwise inappropriate.
- Personal attire shall not be worn to school if it creates a safety issue within the learning environment. Personal attire may be in the style of the day, but clothing that is immodest, revealing, or distracting in character is unacceptable. Clothing, piercings and accessories shall not be worn if they display profanity, violence, discriminatory messages, sexually suggestive phrases, advertisements, phrases or symbols of alcohol, tobacco or drugs.
- In accordance with statutory requirements, and as more particularly specified in the standards for boys and girl below, students are prohibited from wearing clothing that exposes underwear or that exposes body parts in an indecent or vulgar manner.
- Head coverings, including but not limited to, caps, hats, bandannas, hair curlers and/or sunglasses, shall not be worn on campus unless required by a physician or authorized by school administration.
- Students must wear shoes that are safe and appropriate for the learning environment. Middle school and elementary school students must wear shoes that have a back or strap on the heel. High school students may wear backless shoes; however, bedroom slippers and footwear commonly considered as beachwear is prohibited(For example, beach sandals, or other such beach shoes, will not be allowed in school).
- Hair shall be clean and well combed or brushed. Extreme hairstyles will not be acceptable.
- Skirts, dresses, shorts, baggies, culottes, no shorter than four inches (4″) above the top of the knee, are acceptable. Skirts shorter than four inches (4”) above the top of the knee worn with leggings or tights are not acceptable.
- Gang graffiti will not be drawn or worn on backpacks, notebooks, folders, papers, clothing or any other object or on the body of any student or person on school property.
- Tank tops and shirts are not acceptable except in physical education classes.
- Boy’s pants/slacks must be worn at the waist. No boxer shorts or underwear may be visible.
- Tops and shirts must cover the entire shoulder and they must be modest and not revealing or distracting. Midriff or “cutout” dresses and “cut out” tops may not be worn. Extremely short skirts are not allowed. Skirts must be no shorter than four inches (4″) above the top of the knee. Revealing clothing, pajamas and lingerie are not acceptable. Underwear must not be exposed.
- Hair curlers and excessive make‐up shall not be permitted.
- Girls’ pants/slacks must be worn at the waist. No underwear may be exposed.